ISO 9001/2000 Quality Management System (QMS) was implemented in IFOP from 2006 and certified for the first time in 2009. According to international regulations, QMS must renew its certification every 3 years. Therefore, in August of this year, Fisheries Development Institute recertified Quality Management System in accordance with the ISO 9001: 2015 Standard.
WHAT IS ACHIEVED WITH CERTIFICATION
By having a Certified Quality Management System (QMS), IFOP:
- It demonstrates that it has the ability to provide a consistent quality service, that satisfies its clients requirements and applicable legal requirements, and that
- It has necessary tools to increase customer satisfaction, through the effective application of its Quality Management System, including continuous improvement processes .
WHAT DO WE CERTIFY FOR
The Executive Directorate has decided to certify its institutional processes for biological fishery data collection within ISO 9001/2015 standard framework :
- To consolidate IFOP’s position in public institutions in knowledge generation and information on fishing and aquaculture.
- Improve the institution generated data quality by, supplied to national fisheries monitoring projects.
- Apply certified processes that guarantee quantity, timeliness, traceability and quality of the data collected in large quantities.
Moreover, IFOP need to have a Quality Management System (QMS) to achieve Data Management excellence, is a Regulation of Scientific Observers mandate that emanated from the General Fisheries and Aquaculture Law , in its Title III “Of the Administration of the System of Scientific Observers”, Section d) indicates that: “the institution that takes this responsibility must accredit a certified management system, which ensures standardized and traceable procedures for collection, registration, transmission, validation and support of data and samples, in accordance with the scientific data collection protocols of the last 5 years ”.
“DGM Sampling Management Department generated information is vital for the Institute to prepare scientific-technical studies and recommendations to advise Chilean State in decision-making; information that the Authority needs i order to exercise the mission of regulating and managing fishing and aquaculture activities, through policies, standards and administration measures, under a precautionary and ecosystemic approach that promotes hydrobiological resources conservation and sustainability for its productive sector development ”explained Leonardo Caballero, head of the sampling management department.
WHAT DO WE CERTIFY
Collection, Reception, Entry, Validation, Storage and Protection of Fishery Biological Data of industrial and artisanal fisheries, developed in ports and on the resources indicated below:
Summary of the scope of the IFOP QMS
Horse mackerel, anchovy and common sardines
Shrimp, yellow and red shrimp
PARTICIPATING: The areas that participate in the Quality Management System are Executive Directorate, Fisheries Research Division and the Administration and Finance Division, represented by the Fisheries Assessment Department, the Sampling Management Department and the Support and Development Section. In support of the service are the Human Resources and Logistics and Infrastructure Departments.
There is also a group of ISO Internal Auditors made up of: Eliana Escudero, Sergio Elgueta, Sergio Mora, María Isabel Ruz, Bruno Biso and Rodrigo Leiva.