On March 31rst, Abate Molina IFOP’s scientific vessel, set sail from Valparaíso’s port, to research horse mackerel between Arica Parinacota and Valparaíso regions. The staff is made up of professionals and technicians from Fisheries Development Institute.
Abate’s ship captain is Enrique Quiero and fishing engineer José Córdova is the cruise head
The general objective of the cruise is: to quantify horse mackerel resource biomass, between Arica and Parinacota – Valparaíso Regions, using hydroacoustic method.
- To estimate horse mackerel stock size and its spatial distribution.
- To characterize and analyze in a spatial-temporal context, horse mackerel resource demographic composition and interannual variation, using biological indicators.
- To characterize and analyze oceanographic conditions present at research area and their relationship with species spatial distribution.
- To characterize horse mackerel aggregations in research area and period.
- Ecosystem information gathering from acoustic cruises to support ecosystem-based fisheries management; analysis of interspecific interrelations from the spatial distributions detected in echograms.
Once the Cruise is finished, a Progress Document will be delivered that will include preliminary results for horse mackerel biomass estimate, as well as its distribution chart in researched area.