On July 24th , Abate Molina scientific vessel sailed from Valparaíso port, to evaluate common hake stock, through hydroacoustic method, between Coquimbo region northern limit and Los Lagos region. The scientific expedition will last 43 days, between July 24th and September 4th.
Esteban Molina is the cruise master and the ship’s captain is Enrique Quiero, leaving with a 28 people crew , including researchers and crew.
Specific cruise objectives are:
- To estimate hake stock size and its spatial distribution in the area and period of study.
- To characterize demographic composition of evaluated stock through biological indicators analyzed in a spatial context.
- To characterize evaluated hake stock reproductive activity from research hauls obtained data
- To characterize accompanying fauna in fishing directed to common hake in the area and period of study, with special emphasis on cuttlefish (Dosidicus gigas).
- To characterize spatial and bathymetric distribution of ichthyoplankton, eggs and larvae of hake and determine the bio-oceanographic conditions present in the area and period of study.
- To characterize and analyze the aggregations of common hake in the area and period of study.