The Abate’s captain is Enrique Quiero and fishing engineer José Córdova as cruise head.
The research general objective is horse mackerel resource biomass quantification, between Arica and Parinacota – Valparaíso regions, using the hydroacoustic method.
Specific objectives are:
- To estimate horse mackerel stock size and its spatial distribution.
- To characterize and analyze in an spatial-temporal context, horse mackerel resource demographic composition and year-on-year variation, using biological indicators.
- To characterize and analyze oceanographic conditions present in the study area and their relationship with the species spatial distribution.
- To determinate horse mackerelś stomach content and characterize specimens trophic behavior in the area and period of study.
- Ecosystemic information gathering from acoustic cruises to support ecosystemic-based fisheries management; Horse mackerel integrated analysis of trophic behavior oriented key species classification of low trophic level, according to the MSC standard.